Driver - Sarasota
Deliver and pick up Wesco Turf products within specified territory, driving tractor trailer combinations, with either flat bed trailers or box trailers.
- Can drive in excess of 60,000 miles per year
- Number of stops can exceed over 1000
This position reports to the Transportation Manager
Nature and Scope:
Wesco Turf’s Mission
Create Loyal Customers
Wesco Turf’s Vision
Be the Preferred supplier for all products and services we provide.
- Each associate is expected to improve their skills and themselves, either by formal education in a related area or by on the job training beyond their current position.
- Demonstrates and promotes teamwork with other WT and WTS employees and Toro account manager
- As a representative of Wesco Turf the driver must be professional, courteous and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Transport equipment to and from the customers and other locations without damage
- Achieves daily requirements without accidents, citations or damage to personal property
- Selects routes to travel in an efficient manner to maximize customer satisfaction and minimize transit time
- Knowledge of our service area and the ability to use maps
- Good attendance, punctual and flexible daily work hours
- Demonstrates teamwork and cooperation with other departments and employees
- Assist in the training and routing of new delivery associates
- Proper handling of paperwork, including drivers logs, delivery certificates, obtaining customers signatures and any associated monetary collections
- Perform daily operational checks of the vehicle, reporting deficiencies immediately
- Keep vehicle clean and professional in appearance
- Assist in various warehouse duties, such as pulling, staging, loading, un-loading, put away, and general warehouse and office maintenance
- Must possess a Class A Florida drivers license with a clean driving record
- Must be able to safely operate various types of outdoor power equipment
- Drivers must have excellent customer relations skills
- Forklift training and certification is helpful
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma a minimum
- Previous tractor trailer experience or graduation from an accredited driving school
- Safety Training courses, schools and seminars a plus
- Must have good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to understand and communicate in Spanish a plus
- High school level mathematics a minimum
- Must be able to match numbers from paper to the equipment
- Must use good judgment in selecting routes to maximize customer satisfaction and minimize transit time
- Driving requires quick defensive decisions, full awareness of all factors to maintain safe operation.
- Work is to be accomplished with safety as the number one priority
- Basic Prelude system training helpful, when assisting in warehouse duties
- Must be able to handle the stress of highway and city driving
- Total concentration is required
- Some heavy lifting is required
- Works irregular hours that are dictated by meeting the delivery needs of our customers
- The tractor cabs are climate controlled
- Non-driving functions, loading and unloading of equipment expose the driver to the outdoor climate, which can be quite hot, humid and sometimes stormy
- Warehouse work is done in a non-climate controlled workspace
- Drivers are subjected to highway noise, loud engine noise, work near moving mechanical parts and occasionally are exposed to fumes and airborne particles
This job description does not state, nor does it imply, that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. He or she will be required to follow any instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.